An example of to have lost something is to have misplaced the car keys.
A lost child.
A lost battle; a lost cause.
A person lost in a crowd.
A lost soul.
Because she was so far behind the pack, she got lost in the forest.
Deep beneath the ocean, the Titanic was lost to the world.
An example of lost used as an adjective is lost money which means money that has vanished due to a bad investment.
An example of lost used as an adjective is a lost opportunity which means a promising chance that someone didn't take.
A lost opportunity.
To make up lost time.
- To have no effect or influence on:Her advice was lost on me.
- To be beyond the comprehension of:The lecture was lost on us.
- go away!
- absorbed in; engrossed in
- without effect on; failing to influenceHis sarcastic tone was not lost on me.
- no longer in the possession or enjoyment of
- no longer available to
- having no sense of (shame, right, etc.); insensible to