- simple past tense and past participle of elude
- If the police were pursuing you in a high speed chase and you were able to get away, this is an example of when you eluded the police.
- If you were trying very hard to fall asleep but were suffering from insomnia, this is an example of when sleep eluded you.
- If your friend explained a math problem to you but you simply couldn't understand the explanation, this is an example of when the explanation eluded you.
Eluded is defined as avoided or escaped from, or not understood.
- I eluded that stupid sheriff's deputy in the south.
- Whatever her disease, it had eluded the doctors for months.
- He was chosen by the General Court to represent the colony's interests in England, eluded officers sent to arrest him, 3 and in disguise boarded a ship on which he reached Weymouth on the 6th of May 1688.
- That night she went to bed exhausted, but sleep eluded her.
- She was red-eyed, as if sleep had eluded her.