- coming about, taking place, or turning out to be as was hoped for: a successful mission
- having achieved success; specif., having gained wealth, fame, etc.
- An example of successful is when you finally finish a puzzle correctly.
- An example of successful is when you have a great job, a happy marriage and a lot of money.
The definition of successful is accomplishing what you set out to do, or achieving a certain desired status.
- Having a favorable outcome: a successful heart transplant.
- Having obtained something desired or intended: was successful in stopping the leak of oil.
- Having achieved wealth or eminence: a successful architect.
(comparative more successful, superlative most successful)
From success +"Ž -ful.
- He was successful, in varying degrees in locating ninety-six.
- The party was very successful and quite like other parties he had seen.
- The story related the successful return of a young boy kidnapped from his San Francisco home.
- The diversion was successful, but the new subject was almost as sensitive.
- Indeed, when some friend is trying to speak to Miss Keller, and the attempt is not proving successful, Miss Sullivan usually helps by spelling the lost words into Miss Keller's hand.