- The definition of forlorn is something or someone with a very poor condition, or is pitifully lonely or sad.
A puppy watching his owner leave for the day is an example of a puppy that would be described asforlorn.
A man looking forlorn.
forlorn definition by Webster's New World
- abandoned or deserted
- lonely and sad; unhappy and neglected
- without hope; desperate
- bereft or deprived (of)
Origin: Middle English forloren ; from Old English past participle of forleosan, to lose utterly: see for- and amp; lose
forlorn definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Appearing sad or lonely because deserted or abandoned.b. Forsaken or deprived: forlorn of all hope.
- Wretched or pitiful in appearance or condition: forlorn roadside shacks.
- Nearly hopeless; desperate. See Synonyms at despondent.
Origin: Middle English forloren, past participle of forlesen, to abandon, from Old English forlēosan; see leu- in Indo-European roots.
- for·lornˈly adverb
- for·lornˈness noun