- The definition of tragic is something sad, harmful or fatal.
- An example of something tragic is a tragic accident where all involved died.
- An example of something tragic is a tragic news story about famine.
tragic definition by Webster's New World
- of, or having the nature of, tragedy
- like or characteristic of tragedy; bringing great harm, suffering, etc.; calamitous, disastrous, fatal, etc.
- appropriate to the acting of tragedy: in a tragic voice
- writing or acting in tragedy
Origin: Classical Latin tragicus ; from Classical Greek tragikos
the tragic element in art or life
tragic definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Relating to or characteristic of dramatic tragedy or tragedies: tragic plays; the tragic hero.
- Writing or performing in tragedy: a tragic poet.
- Having the elements of tragedy; involving death, grief, or destruction: a tragic accident.
Origin: Latin tragicus, from Greek tragikos, from tragos, goat.