The catastrophic results of a tornado.
- A tornado that causes many deaths is an example of something that would be described as catastrophic.
- When the stock market goes down 1000 points in a day, this is an example of a catastrophic collapse.
- When the manager of a company manages it so poorly that it goes bankrupt, this is an example of catastrophic mismanagement.
The definition of catastrophic is something that is extremely harmful or that causes great damage or change.
- Of, relating to, or involving a catastrophe.
- Involving or resulting in substantial, often ruinous medical expense: a catastrophic illness.