- The definition of destructive is destroying or creating chaos.
An example of someone who is destructive is a person who breaks up every friendship he has ever had.
- tending or likely to cause destruction
- causing or producing destruction; destroying
- merely negative; not helpful: destructive criticism
Origin of destructiveOld French destructif ; from Late Latin destructivus
- Causing or wreaking destruction; ruinous: a destructive act; a policy that is destructive to the economy.
- Designed or tending to disprove or discredit: destructive criticism.
- de·struc′tive·ness, de′struc·tiv′i·ty
(comparative more destructive, superlative most destructive)
From Middle French destructif, from Latin destructivus, from past participle of destruere (“to tear down, destroy”) + -ivus.