Emergency workers during a dire situation.
- The definition of dire is something so bad or scary that it causes distress or terror.
An example of dire the need of a homeless person in winter.
- Dire is defined as something that is urgent.
An example of dire is the warning to evacuate immediately.
- arousing terror or causing extreme distress; dreadful; terrible
- calling for quick action; urgent: a dire need
Origin of direClassical Latin dirus, fearful ; from Indo-European base an unverified form dwei-, to fear from source Classical Greek deimos, panic
- Warning of or having dreadful or terrible consequences; calamitous: a dire economic forecast; dire threats.
- Urgent; desperate: in dire need; dire poverty.
Origin of direLatin d&imacron;rus, fearsome, terrible; akin to Greek deinos.
(comparative direr or more dire, superlative direst or most dire)
From Latin dirus (“fearful, ominous”).