Very ominous clouds.
- The definition of ominous is something that suggests bad things will happen soon.
An example of ominous is a dark cloud before a thunderstorm.
of or serving as an omen; esp., having the character of an evil omen; threatening; sinister
Origin of ominousClassical Latin ominosus
- Menacing; threatening: ominous black clouds; ominous rumblings of discontent.
- Of or being an omen, especially an evil one.
Origin of ominousLatin ōminōsus, from ōmen, ōmin-, omen.
(comparative more ominous, superlative most ominous)
- Formerly used both in a favorable and unfavorable sense; now chiefly in the latter; foreboding or foreshadowing evil; inauspicious; as, an ominous dread.
- Nouns to which "ominous" is often applied: sign, silence, warning, cloud, note, sound, shadow, threat, music, tone, implication, message, presence, development, voice, portent, turn, sky, figure, dream, event, trend, change, day, beginning, growl, cry, signal, pattern.