- The definition of baleful is something that is threatening and dangerous.
An example of something baleful is a powerful hurricane.
- harmful or threatening harm or evil; ominous; deadly
- Archaic sorrowful; wretched
Origin of balefulMiddle English ; from Old English bealoful ; from bealu, bale + -ful, full
- Portending evil; ominous: The guard's baleful glare frightened the children.
- Harmful or malignant in intent or effect: a baleful influence.
(comparative more baleful, superlative most baleful)
From Old English bealofull.