- The definition of baleful is something that is threatening and dangerous.
An example of something baleful is a powerful hurricane.
baleful definition by Webster's New World
- harmful or threatening harm or evil; ominous; deadly
- Archaic sorrowful; wretched
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English bealoful ; from bealu, bale plush -ful, full
baleful definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Portending evil; ominous. See Synonyms at sinister.
- Harmful or malignant in intent or effect.
- baleˈful·ly adverb
- baleˈful·ness noun