- The definition of vindictive is someone who is out for revenge.
An example of vindictive is a person who writes down every mean thing ever said to her in a notebook so she can get back at the people who were unkind.
- revengeful in spirit; inclined to seek vengeance
- said or done in revenge; characterized by vengeance: vindictive punishment
Origin of vindictive; from Classical Latin vindicta, revenge, vindication ; from vindicatus (see vindicate) + -ive
- Disposed to seek revenge; revengeful.
- Marked by or resulting from a desire to hurt; spiteful.
Origin of vindictiveFrom Latin vindicta, vengeance, from vindex, vindic-, surety, avenger; see vindicate.
(comparative more vindictive, superlative most vindictive)
From Latin vindicta (â€œvengeanceâ€), from vindico (â€œclaim, vindicateâ€), from vindex (â€œdefenderâ€), +â€Ž -ive.