- The definition of vindictive is someone who is out for revenge.
An example of vindictive is a person who writes down every mean thing ever said to her in a notebook so she can get back at the people who were unkind.
vindictive definition by Webster's New World
- revengeful in spirit; inclined to seek vengeance
- said or done in revenge; characterized by vengeance: vindictive punishment
Origin: ; from Classical Latin vindicta, revenge, vindication ; from vindicatus (see vindicate) plush -ive
vindictive definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Disposed to seek revenge; revengeful.
- Marked by or resulting from a desire to hurt; spiteful.
Origin: From Latin vindicta, vengeance, from vindex, vindic-, surety, avenger; see vindicate.
- vin·dicˈtive·ly adverb
- vin·dicˈtive·ness noun