- The definition of a vine is a plant with long stems that grow along the ground or climb a support structure.
- An example of a vine is a grape plant.
- An example of a vine is honeysuckle.
Rows of grape vines.
vine definition by Webster's New World
- any plant with a long, thin stem that grows along the ground or climbs a wall or other support by means of tendrils, etc.
- the stem of such a plant
- grapevine (sense )
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French vine ; from Classical Latin vinea, vine ; from vineus, pertaining to wine ; from vinum, wine, akin to Classical Greek oinē, vine, oinos, wine, probably a loanword from a pre-IE language of the Pontus region (from source Classical Hebrew (language) yayin)
vine definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A weak-stemmed plant that derives its support from climbing, twining, or creeping along a surface.b. The stem of such a plant.
- a. A grapevine.b. Grapevines considered as a group: products of the vine.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin vīnea, from feminine of vīneus, of wine, from vīnum, wine.
vine - Computer Definition
A mobile video sharing app that takes six-second videos for posting on Facebook and Twitter. Vine was founded in 2012 and acquired by Twitter that same year. The first app debuted in 2013 for the iPhone and iPod touch. See Twitter.