- a large, round or oblong, edible fruit with a hard, green rind and sweet, juicy, pink or red pulp containing many seeds
- the widely cultivated, tropical African trailing vine (Citrullus lanatus) of the gourd family, on which it grows
Origin of watermelonwater + melon: from its abundant watery juice
- A vine (Citrullus lanatus) native to Africa, widely cultivated for its large edible fruit.
- The fruit of this plant, having a hard green rind and sweet watery pink or reddish flesh.
- A plant of the species Citrullus lanatus, bearing a melon-like fruit.
- The fruit of the watermelon plant, having a green rind and watery flesh that is bright red when ripe and contains black pips.
- (pejorative, slang) An environmentalist with socialist leanings (from the similarity to the fruit, being green on the outside, and red on the inside).