- The definition of grapevine is an expression that is defined as the rumor mill through which gossip and unofficial information is spread, or to the vines on which grapes grow.
- When you hear from a friend-of-a-friend that your neighbor might be getting divorced, this is an example of a situation where you hear the news through the grapevine.
- A woody vine that bears grapes is an example of a grapevine.
Grapes hanging on a grapevine.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- any of the woody vines that bear grapes
- ☆ a secret means of spreading or receiving information; also, the spreading of news or gossip from one person to another: with the
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A vine on which grapes grow.
- a. The informal transmission of information, gossip, or rumor from person to person.b. A usually unrevealed source of confidential information.