Grapes hanging on a grapevine.
- When you hear from a friend-of-a-friend that your neighbor might be getting divorced, this is an example of a situation where you hear the news through the grapevine.
- A woody vine that bears grapes is an example of a grapevine.
The definition of grapevine is an expression that is defined as the rumor mill through which gossip and unofficial information is spread, or to the vines on which grapes grow.
- any of the woody vines that bear grapes
- a secret means of spreading or receiving information; also, the spreading of news or gossip from one person to another: with the
- A vine on which grapes grow.
- The informal transmission of information, gossip, or rumor from person to person: I heard through the grapevine that she has a new job.
- The plant, a vine of genus Vitis, on which grapes grow
- Although many grape vines have geographical names, those rarely reflect their real origin, if known at all
- A rumor
- An informal person-to-person means of circulating information or gossip.
- I heard through the grapevine that Jim will be leaving soon.
- (skating) A move in which the feet are alternately placed in front of each other, while both remaining on the ice or ground, incorporating half-turns.