- The definition of grapevine is an expression that is defined as the rumor mill through which gossip and unofficial information is spread, or to the vines on which grapes grow.
- When you hear from a friend-of-a-friend that your neighbor might be getting divorced, this is an example of a situation where you hear the news through the grapevine.
- A woody vine that bears grapes is an example of a grapevine.
Grapes hanging on a grapevine.
grapevine definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- any of the woody vines that bear grapes
- ☆ a secret means of spreading or receiving information; also, the spreading of news or gossip from one person to another: with the
grapevine definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A vine on which grapes grow.
- a. The informal transmission of information, gossip, or rumor from person to person.b. A usually unrevealed source of confidential information.
grapevine - Business Definition
The path along which informal communications spread.