An example of a pipeline is a line of pipes that carries natural gas from an oil drilling site to a nearby city.
- A long pipe, especially one used for the conveyance of water, gas, or petroleum products.
- A channel by which information is privately transmitted.
- A system through which something is conducted, especially as a means of supply: “Farther down the pipeline are three other approaches to vaccine development” (Boston Globe).
transitive verbpipe·lined, pipe·lin·ing, pipe·lines
- To convey by or as if by a system of pipes.
- To lay a system of pipes through.
Trans-Alaska Pipeline System, Alaska
- a conduit made of pipes used to convey water, gas or petroleum etc
- An oil pipeline has been opened from the Caspian Sea.
- a channel (either physical or logical) by which information is transmitted sequentially (that is, the first information in is the first information out).
- 3D images are rendered using the graphics pipeline.
- a system through which something is conducted
- A new version of the software is in the pipeline, but has not been rolled-out.
- (surfing): The inside of a wave that a surfer is riding, when wave has started closing over.
(third-person singular simple present pipelines, present participle pipelining, simple past and past participle pipelined)
- To convey something by a system of pipes
- To lay a system of pipes through something
- (computing) To design (a microchip etc.) so that processing takes place in efficient stages, the output of each stage being fed as input to the next.
pipeline - Computer Definition
pipeline - Investment & Finance Definition
- A ubiquitous term that often is used to refer to the amount of business that a company expects to receive in the coming months or year. Typically it is used when companies have a long time between the placement of orders and when the goods or services actually are delivered. Companies talk about the pipeline being full to indicate that they have a solid backlog of orders.
- In the energy market, the way crude oil, gasoline, or natural gas is delivered to refiners.