The definition of a rumor is gossip, or a story that is not confirmed but is being discussed.noun
An example of a rumor is a friend telling you something they heard about a new movie coming out.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- general talk not based on definite knowledge; mere gossip; hearsay
- an unconfirmed report, story, or statement in general circulation
- Archaic fame
- Obsolete loud protest, clamor, etc.
Origin: ME rumour < OFr < L rumor, noise < IE echoic base *reu-, to roar, grumble > rune, OE reotan, to complain
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
- Unverified information received from another; hearsay.
Origin: Middle English rumour, from Old French, from Latin rūmor.