- The definition of a rumor is gossip, or a story that is not confirmed but is being discussed.
An example of a rumor is a friend telling you something they heard about a new movie coming out.
rumor definition by Webster's New World
- general talk not based on definite knowledge; mere gossip; hearsay
- an unconfirmed report, story, or statement in general circulation
- Archaic fame
- Obsolete loud protest, clamor, etc.
Origin: Middle English rumour ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin rumor, noise ; from Indo-European echoic base an unverified form reu-, to roar, grumble from source rune, Old English reotan, to complain
rumor definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
- Unverified information received from another; hearsay.
Origin: Middle English rumour, from Old French, from Latin rūmor.