- The definition of urgent is something pressing or important, or something that requires immediate attention.
A request that must be taken care of right away is an example of an urgent request.
urgent definition by Webster's New World
- calling for haste, immediate action, etc.; grave; pressing
- insistent; importunate
Origin: Late Middle English ; from Middle French ; from Classical Latin urgens, present participle of urgere, to press hard, urge
- urgently adverb
urgent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Compelling immediate action or attention; pressing.
- Insistent or importunate: the urgent words “Hurry! Hurry!”
- Conveying a sense of pressing importance: an urgent message.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin urgēns, urgent-, present participle of urgēre, to urge.
- urˈgent·ly adverb