- The definition of insistent is demanding or persistent.
An example of an insistent person is someone who keeps giving support for a lie, no matter how many times he is questioned or proved wrong.
- insisting or demanding; persistent in demands or assertions
- compelling the attention: an insistent rhythm
Origin of insistentClassical Latin insistens
- Firm in asserting a demand or an opinion; unyielding.
- Demanding attention or a response: insistent hunger.
- Repetitive and persistent: the jay's insistent cry.
(comparative more insistent, superlative most insistent)
- Urgent in dwelling upon anything; persistent in urging or maintaining.
- Extorting attention or notice; coercively staring or prominent; vivid; intense.
- (ornithology) Standing on end: specifically said of the hind toe of a bird when its base is inserted so high on the shank that only its tip touches the ground: correlated with incumbent.
From Latin insistens, participle of insisto.