- An example of disinterested is a person who votes on something but has no personal advantage or disadvantage in the outcome of the voting.
- An example of disinterested is a student texting while eating dinner with their family.
The definition of disinterested is a person who is unbiased or indifferent.
- not influenced by personal interest or selfish motives; impartial; unbiased
- uninterested; indifferent: this usage, a revival of an obsolete meaning, is objected to by some
- Free of bias and self-interest; impartial: “disinterested scientific opinion on fluorides in the water supply” (Ellen R. Shell).
- a. Not interested; indifferent: “supremely disinterested in all efforts to find a peaceful solution” (C.L. Sulzberger).b. Having lost interest.
(comparative more disinterested, superlative most disinterested)
From dis- + interested.
disinterested - Legal Definition
Neutral, impartial; lacking a financial interest in, or other predisposition toward, a particular resolution of a controversy or issue.