- The definition of a wretch is a person who is mean or unpleasant, or a person who is pathetic, unfortunate or helpless.
- An evil and greedy corporate leader who steals money from the poor is an example of a wretch.
- A pitiful murder victim who has been subject to a terrible crime is an example of a wretch.
- a miserable or unhappy person; person in deep distress or misfortune
- a person who is despised or scorned
Origin of wretchMiddle English wrecche ; from Old English wrecca, an outcast, literally , one driven out ; from wrecan, to drive out, punish: see wreak
- A miserable, unfortunate, or unhappy person.
- A person regarded as base, mean, or despicable: “a stony adversary, an inhuman wretch” (Shakespeare).
Origin of wretchMiddle English wrecche, from Old English wrecca, exiles, wretch.