- Informal a scamp; rascal
- a Southern white who supported the Republicans during the Reconstruction: an opprobrious term used by Southern Democrats
Origin of scalawag; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- Informal A reprobate; a rascal.
- A white Southerner working for or supporting the federal government during Reconstruction.
Origin of scalawagOrigin unknown.
- (pejorative, archaic) A scrawny cow.
- (pejorative, archaic) A rascal.
- (pejorative, US, archaic or historical) Any white Southerner who supported the federal plan of Reconstruction after the American Civil War or who joined with the black freedmen and the carpetbaggers in support of Republican Party policies.
Of obscure origin, perhaps from the name of the Shetland village of Scalloway (from Old Norse SkÃ¡lavÃ¡gr), known for its dwarf ponies and dwarf cattle.