- The definition of a varlet is a man or a boy who acts as a servant, or a dishonest or deceitful man.
- A butler who takes care of your every need is an example of a varlet.
- A young boy who serves as a knight's page is an example of a varlet.
- A man who lies about his age and income in order to try to scam rich women of their fortunes is an example of a varlet.
varlet definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- an attendant
- a youth serving as a knight's page
- a scoundrel; knave
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French a servant, page, variant, variety of vaslet (see valet): for sense development see knave
varlet definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An attendant or servant.
- A knight's page.
- A rascal; a knave.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, variant of vaslet; see valet.