- An example of vigorous is person in good health.
- An example of vigorous is a plant that quickly grows tall.
- living or growing with full vital strength; strong; robust
- of, characterized by, or requiring vigor or strength
- forceful or powerful; strong; energetic
- acting, or ready to act, with energy and force
Origin of vigorousMiddle English vigerous ; from Old French ; from Medieval Latin vigorosus
- a. Strong and healthy; robust: “Her splendid, vigorous body lay still and relaxed under the loose folds of her clothing” (Willa Cather).b. Growing or spreading rapidly: a vigorous vine.
- Characterized by or done with force and energy: “With a vigorous shake to get rid of the brine in his hair, he ran into the woods to hunt small game” (John Muir). See Synonyms at active.
- Forceful; effective: a model of vigorous prose.