- the advantage in betting odds that a bookmaker or gambler creates to produce profit
- excessive interest as charged by a loan shark
Origin of vigorishprobably via Yiddish ; from Russian vyigryš, winnings, profit
- A fee charged for the placement of bets by an illegal gambling broker or establishment.
- Frequent and excessive interest payments charged by an illegal moneylender.
- The payment of such fees or interest.
Origin of vigorishYiddish slang, from Russian vyigrysh, winnings : vy-, out; see ud- in Indo-European roots + igrat', to play.
(countable and uncountable, plural vigorishes)
From Yiddish slang, from the Russian Ð²Ñ‹Ð¸Ð³Ñ€Ñ‹Ñˆ (vyigrysh, “winnings").