- Rugged is defined as durable or sturdy, or a rough terrain or landscape.
- A big Jeep made for off-roading and going outdoors is an example of a rugged car.
- A rocky, rough and mountainous landscape is an example of a rugged landscape.
- having irregular projections and depressions; uneven in surface or contour; rough; wrinkled: rugged ground, a rugged coast
- strong, irregular, and wrinkled: said of the face or facial features
- stormy; tempestuous: rugged weather
- sounding harsh: rugged tones
- severe; harsh; hard; stern: a rugged life
- not polished, cultivated, refined, or elegant; rude: rugged manners
- ☆ strong; robust; sturdy; vigorous
- Informal requiring great skill, strength, endurance, etc.: a rugged test
Origin of ruggedMiddle English rough, shaggy, probably ; from Scandinavian as in Swedish rugga, to roughen: for Indo-European base see rug
- Having a rough irregular surface: rugged terrain.
- Having strong features marked with furrows or wrinkles: the rugged face of the old sailor.
- Having a sturdy build or strong constitution: a rugged trapper who spent months in the wilderness.
- Tempestuous; stormy: the rugged weather of the North Atlantic.
- Demanding great effort, ability, or endurance: the rugged conditions of barracks life.
- Lacking culture or polish; coarse and rude: rugged manners and ribald wit.
Origin of ruggedMiddle English, shaggy, of Scandinavian origin.
(comparative ruggeder, superlative ruggedest)
- Broken into sharp or irregular points; uneven; not smooth; rough
- Not neat or regular; irregular, uneven.
- Rough with bristles or hair; shaggy.
- (of a person) strong, sturdy, well-built
- (of land) rocky and bare of plantlife
- Harsh; austere; hard; crabbed; -- said of temper, character, and the like, or of persons.
- Stormy; turbulent; tempestuous; rude.
- Harsh; grating; rough to the ear -- said of sound, style, and the like.
- Sour; surly; frowning; wrinkled; -- said of looks, etc.
- Violent; rude; boisterous; -- said of conduct, manners, etc.
- Vigorous; robust; hardy; -- said of health, physique, etc.
- (computing, of a computer) designed to reliably operate in harsh usage environments and conditions
- Having a rug or rugs.
- Covered with a rug.
- Simple past tense and past participle of rug.