- The definition of a rug is a woven piece of heavy fabric used to cover part of a floor, or is slang for a toupee.
An example of a rug is a large floor covering under a dining table and chairs.
- a piece of thick, often napped fabric, woven strips of rag, an animal skin, etc. used as a floor covering: usually distinguished from carpet in being a single piece of definite shape, not intended to cover the entire floor
- lap robe
- ☆ Slang a toupee
Origin: from Scand, as inch(es) Norwegian dialect, dialectal rugga, coarse coverlet, Swedish rugg, shaggy hair, Old Norse rǫgg, long hair from Indo-European base an unverified form reu-, to tear out: see rude
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A heavy fabric used to cover a floor.
- An animal skin used as a floor covering.
- Chiefly British A piece of thick, warm fabric or fur used as a coverlet or lap robe.
- Slang A toupee.
Origin: Of Scandinavian origin.