- The definition of vitriolic is something said or written that is very caustic or biting.
An example of a vitriolic comment is to say something very nasty and cruel to someone.
vitriolic definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- of, like, or derived from a vitriol
- extremely biting or caustic; sharp and bitter: vitriolic talk
Origin: French vitriolique
vitriolic definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, similar to, or derived from a vitriol.
- Bitterly scathing; caustic: vitriolic criticism.