Variant of bitter
- designating or having a sharp, often unpleasant taste; acrid, as quinine or peach stones
- causing or showing sorrow, discomfort, or pain; grievous
- sharp and disagreeable; harsh; severe; piercing: a bitter wind
- characterized by strong feelings of hatred, resentment, cynicism, etc.
Origin: ME < OE biter, akin to bītan, bite
- in a way that is bitter; bitterly
- extremely: it was bitter cold
- a bitter quality or thing: take the bitter with the sweet
- Brit. bitter, strongly hopped ale
transitive verb, intransitive verb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.