- The definition of acrid is a thing or person that is bitter and/or harsh.
An example of acrid is the type of divorce where the couple fight over everything and purposely try to hurt one another.
- Acrid is defined as a sharp, bitter taste or smell that is unpleasant.
An example of acrid is the smell of sour milk.
acrid definition by Webster's New World
- sharp, bitter, stinging, or irritating to the taste or smell
- bitter or sarcastic in speech, etc.
Origin: ; from Classical Latin acris, feminine of acer, sharp ; from Indo-European base an unverified form a- (see acid): form influenced, influence by acid
acrid definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Unpleasantly sharp, pungent, or bitter to the taste or smell. See Synonyms at bitter.
- Caustic in language or tone.
Origin: From Latin ācer, sharp (probably modeled on acid); see ak- in Indo-European roots.
- a·cridˈi·ty , acˈrid·ness noun
- acˈrid·ly adverb
acrid - Medical Definition
- acridity , acˈrid·ness noun