- An example of virulent is an aggressive and deadly disease.
- An example of virulent is when you rage a bitter and angry speech against a teacher you don't like.
The definition of virulent is something very dangerous or harmful. It also is being especially bitter, ardent and hostile.
- extremely poisonous or injurious; deadly
- bitterly antagonistic or spiteful; full of hate and enmity; venomous; rancorous
- violent and rapid in its course; highly malignant: said of a disease
- able to overcome the natural defenses of the host; highly infectious: said of a microorganism
Origin of virulentMiddle English from Classical Latin virulentus, full of poison from virus: see virus
- a. Characterized by, causing, or promoting the rapid onset of severe illness. Used of a disease or toxin.b. Capable of causing disease by aggressively interfering with the immune system of the host. Used of a pathogen.
- Extremely hostile or malicious: virulent criticism; a virulent bigot.
Origin of virulentMiddle English from Latin vīrulentus from vīrus poison
- vir′u·lence vir′u·len·cy
(comparative more virulent, superlative most virulent)