- The definition of venomous is a snake or other animal that can transmit or inject dangerous serum, or a person or behavior that is mean, malicious or spiteful.
- A boa constrictor is an example of a venomous snake.
- A person who spreads untrue gossip just to be mean is an example of someone who is venomous.
The boa constrictor is a venomous snake
- containing or full of venom; poisonous
- malignant; spiteful; malicious
- Zool. having a poison gland or glands and able to inflict a poisonous wound by biting or stinging
Origin of venomousMiddle English venimous ; from Old French venimeux
- a. Secreting and transmitting venom: a venomous snake.b. Full of or containing venom: a venomous substance.
- a. Malicious; spiteful: a venomous remark.b. Harmful or destructive: “all the venomous ingredients of corruption” (Garry Wills).
(comparative more venomous, superlative most venomous)
- Full of venom.
- The villain tricked him into drinking the venomous concoction.
- Toxic; poisonous.
- Noxious; evil.
- Malignant; spiteful; hateful.
- His attitude toward me is utterly venomous.
- Producing venom (poison usually injected into an enemy or prey by biting or stinging) in glands or accumulating venom from food.
- Do venomous spiders have glands?