- The definition of corrosive is something that causes the deterioration or eating away of metal.
Acid is an example of something that would be described as corrosive.
Acid is a corrosive material.
- corroding or causing corrosion
- bitingly sarcastic; cutting; acid
Origin of corrosiveOld French corrosif ; from Medieval Latin corrosivus
- Having the capability or tendency to cause corrosion: a corrosive acid.
- Gradually destructive; steadily harmful: corrosive anxiety; corrosive increases in prices; a corrosive narcotics trade.
- Spitefully sarcastic: corrosive criticism; corrosive wit.
(comparative more corrosive, superlative most corrosive)
From Old French corrosif