- Archaic a woven fabric
- the character of a woven fabric as determined by the arrangement, size, quality, etc. of the fabric's threads: coarse texture, twilled texture
- the arrangement of the particles or constituent parts of any material or substance as it affects the appearance or feel of the surface; structure, composition, consistency, grain, etc.
- the tactile surface quality of a work of art, resulting from the artist's technique
- the melodic and harmonic relationships of musical materials
- basic structure: the texture of society
Origin of textureMiddle English from Classical Latin textura from texere, to weave: see technic
transitive verb-·tured, -·tur·ing