- a person who keeps score in a game
- a device for keeping score
- a device for marking lines, as on a tennis court
- a bookmark
- a gravestone
- ⌂ a milestone or similar sign
- genetic marker
- One that marks or serves as a mark, as:a. A bookmark.b. A tombstone.c. A milestone.
- An implement, especially a felt-tipped pen, used for marking or writing.
- One who marks objects, especially for industrial purposes.
- One who grades student papers.
- Sports a. A device, such as a line, stake, or flag, set on a playing field and showing the playing or scoring position.b. A player who guards an opponent, as in soccer.c. An official in certain court games, such as squash, who mainly judges whether the ball is out of play and whether a fault or let has occurred.
- Games a. One that keeps score in various games.b. A score in a game.
- Slang A written, signed promissory note.
- A chemical or physical characteristic that indicates the presence of something, especially:a. A genetic marker.b. A biomarker.
- Linguistics An element that indicates grammatical or semantic class or function, such as an inflectional affix.
- An object used to mark a location.
- Someone or something that marks.
- A felt-tipped pen.
- (slang) A signed note of a debt to be paid.
- (slang, figuratively) A nonmonetary debt owed to someone, especially in return for a favor.
- We may not be able to do this alone. Maybe it's time to call in some of our markers.
- (paintball) A device that fires a paintball
- (sports) A defending player who stays close to an opponent in order to mark them.
(third-person singular simple present markers, present participle markering, simple past and past participle markered)
- To mark or write on (something) using a marker