marker definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
a person or thing that marks; specif.,
- a person who keeps score in a game
- a device for keeping score
- a device for marking lines, as on a tennis court
- a bookmark
- a gravestone
- ☆ a milestone or similar sign
- genetic marker
marker definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- One that marks or serves as a mark, as:a. A bookmark.b. A tombstone.c. A milestone.
- An implement, especially a felt-tipped pen, used for marking or writing.
- One who marks objects, especially for industrial purposes.
- One who grades student papers.
- Sports a. A device, such as a line, stake, or flag, set on a playing field and showing the playing or scoring position.b. A player who guards an opponent, as in soccer.c. An official in certain court games, such as squash, who mainly judges whether the ball is out of play and whether a fault or let has occurred.
- Games a. One that keeps score in various games.b. A score in a game.
- Slang A written, signed promissory note.
- A genetic marker.
- Medicine A physiological substance, such as human chorionic gonadotropin or alpha-fetoprotein, that when present in abnormal amounts in the serum may indicate the presence of disease, as that caused by a malignancy. Also called biomarker.
- Linguistics An element that indicates grammatical class or function; a derivational or inflectional morpheme.
marker - Medical Definition
- One that marks or serves as a mark.
- A physiological substance, such as human chorionic gonadotropin or alpha-fetoprotein, that may indicate disease when present in abnormal amounts in the serum, as that caused by a malignancy. Also called biomarker.
- A genetic marker.