- An example of an anniversary is the day on which a person got married.
- An example of an anniversary is 9/11 after the bombing in New York.
The definition of an anniversary is a date on which something important happens that is noted in some way each year thereafter.
- the annually recurring date on which some event took place
- the commemoration of such an event on that date in following years
- loosely any commemoration, not based on years, of the date of an event: the six-month anniversary of their wedding
Origin of anniversaryMiddle English anniversarie ; from Medieval Latin anniversaria (dies), anniversary (day) ; from Classical Latin anniversarius ; from annus, year + versum, past participle of vertere, to turn: see verse
- that is an anniversary
- of or connected with an anniversary
- The annually recurring date of a past event, as of personal or historical importance: a wedding anniversary; the anniversary of the founding of Rome.
- A date that follows a certain event by a specified amount of time: his six-month anniversary of quitting smoking.
- An event at which an anniversary is celebrated.
Origin of anniversaryMiddle English anniversarie, from Medieval Latin (diēs) anniversāria, anniversary (day), from Latin, feminine of anniversārius, returning yearly : annus, year; see at- in Indo-European roots + versus, past participle of vertere, to turn; see wer-2 in Indo-European roots.
- Of a significant event, a day that is an exact number of years (to the day) since the event occurred. Often preceded by an ordinal number indicating the number of years that have elapsed since the event.
- Today is the fiftieth anniversary of the end of the war.
- (loosely) A day subsequent in time to a given event by some (especially significant) factor other than a year (especially as prefixed by the amount of time in question).
- (more specifically) Such, where the event is a wedding.
- We are celebrating our tenth anniversary today.
From the Latin adjective anniversarius (“returning yearly”), from vertere (“to turn”), + annus (“year”).