- The definition of an anniversary is a date on which something important happens that is noted in some way each year thereafter.
- An example of an anniversary is the day on which a person got married.
- An example of an anniversary is 9/11 after the bombing in New York.
anniversary definition by Webster's New World
- the date on which some event occurred in an earlier year
- the commemoration of such an event on that date in following years
Origin: Middle English anniversarie ; from Midieval Latin anniversaria (dies), anniversary (day) ; from Classical Latin anniversarius ; from annus, year plush versum, past participle of vertere, to turn: see verse
- that is an anniversary
- of or connected with an anniversary
anniversary definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. an·ni·ver·sa·ries
- The annually recurring date of a past event, especially one of historical, national, or personal importance: a wedding anniversary; the anniversary of the founding of Rome.
- A celebration commemorating such a date.
Origin: Middle English anniversarie, from Medieval Latin (diēs) anniversāria, anniversary (day), from Latin, feminine of anniversārius, returning yearly : annus, year; see at- in Indo-European roots + versus, past participle of vertere, to turn; see wer-2 in Indo-European roots.