- The definition of a festival is a time of celebration, or a day when organized events or music concerts are held in one place.
- A celebration of spring with carnival rides and fresh spring flowers and foods is an example of a spring festival.
- Woodstock is an example of a music festival.
festival definition by Webster's New World
- a time or day of feasting or celebration; esp., a periodic religious celebration
- a celebration, entertainment, or series of performances of a certain kind, often held periodically: a Bach festival
- merrymaking; festivity
Origin: Middle English noun and amp; adjective ; from Old French ; from Midieval Latin festivalis ; from Classical Latin festivus: see festive
festival definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An occasion for feasting or celebration, especially a day or time of religious significance that recurs at regular intervals.
- An often regularly recurring program of cultural performances, exhibitions, or competitions: a film festival.
- Revelry; conviviality.
Origin: From Middle English, festive, from Old French, from Medieval Latin fēstivālis, from Latin fēstīvus, from fēstus; see dhēs- in Indo-European roots.