- The definition of a festival is a time of celebration, or a day when organized events or music concerts are held in one place.
- A celebration of spring with carnival rides and fresh spring flowers and foods is an example of a spring festival.
- Woodstock is an example of a music festival.
- a time or day of feasting or celebration; esp., a periodic religious celebration
- a celebration, entertainment, or series of performances of a certain kind, often held periodically: a Bach festival
- merrymaking; festivity
Origin of festivalMiddle English noun and amp; adjective ; from Old French ; from Medieval Latin festivalis ; from Classical Latin festivus: see festive
of, for, or fit for a festival
- An occasion for feasting or celebration, especially a day or time of religious significance that recurs at regular intervals.
- An often regularly recurring program of cultural performances, exhibitions, or competitions: a film festival.
- Revelry; conviviality.
Of, relating to, or suitable for a feast or festival; festive.
Origin of festivalFrom Middle English, festive, from Old French, from Medieval Latin fēstivālis, from Latin fēstīvus, from fēstus; see dhēs- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more festival, superlative most festival)
- Pertaining to a feast or feast-day. (Now only as the noun used attributively.)