platter definition by Webster's New World
- a large, shallow dish, usually oval, for serving food, esp. meat or fish
- the circular, motor-driven surface of a turntable on which phonograph records are played
- ☆ Slang home plate
- ☆ Slang a phonograph record
Origin: Middle English plater ; from Anglo-French ; from Old French plat: see plate
platter definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A large shallow dish or plate, used especially for serving food.
- A meal or course served on a platter.
- Slang A phonograph record.
Origin: Middle English plater, from Anglo-Norman, from Old French plate, plate; see plate.
platter - Computer Definition
One of the disks in a hard disk drive. Each platter provides a top and bottom recording surface. There may be only one or several platters in a drive with each platter having its own pair of read/write heads. See magnetic disk.
platter - Phrases/Idioms
on a platter