- To ravage is to destroy something or cause severe destruction.
When you burn down and destroy a city, this is an example of a situation where you ravage the city.
ravage definition by Webster's New World
- the act or practice of violently destroying; destruction
- ruin; devastating damage: the ravages of time
Origin: French ; from Old French ravir: see ravish
- ravager noun
ravage definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb rav·aged, rav·ag·ing, rav·ages verb, transitive
- To bring heavy destruction on; devastate: A tornado ravaged the town.
- To pillage; sack: Enemy soldiers ravaged the village.
- The act or practice of pillaging, destroying, or devastating.
- Grievous damage; havoc: the ravages of disease.
Origin: French ravager, from Old French, to uproot, from ravir, to ravish; see ravish.
- ravˈag·er noun