- The definition of pitiful is a person of thing for which one feels sorry.
An example of pitiful is a stray dog.
pitiful definition by Webster's New World
- arousing or deserving pity
- deserving contempt; despicable
- Archaic full of pity or compassion
pitiful definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Inspiring or deserving pity.
- Arousing contemptuous pity, as through ineptitude or inadequacy. See Synonyms at pathetic.
- Archaic Filled with pity or compassion.
- pitˈi·ful·ly adverb
- pitˈi·ful·ness noun