- arousing or deserving pity
- deserving contempt; despicable
- Archaic full of pity or compassion
A pitiful stray dog
The definition of pitiful is a person of thing for which one feels sorry.
An example of pitiful is a stray dog.
- Inspiring or deserving pity.
- Arousing contemptuous pity, as through ineptitude or inadequacy. See Synonyms at pathetic.
- Archaic Filled with pity or compassion.
(comparative pitifuller, superlative pitifullest)
From pity +"Ž -ful.
- "I deserve it," Toby said with a pitiful sigh.
- It was pitiful to see them, boys, put in the dancer.
- After the failure of this attempt he was put to the most pitiful shifts to make a living.
- Maslama brought back the rest of his army in a pitiful state, while the fleet, on its return, was partly destroyed by a violent tempest.
- All costume off a man is pitiful or grotesque.