The definition of appalling is something that is so bad that it causes people to be shocked, get angry about it or be terrified by it.
The grim condition of people in poverty-stricken areas is an example of an appalling condition.
Causing consternation or dismay; frightful: appalling working conditions.
- Present participle of appall.
(comparative more appalling, superlative most appalling)
- Not to be confused with appealing.
- The picture given of Jerusalemite morals is an appalling one.
- Coast of Baluchistan, through the appalling sand-wastes of the Mekran.'
- Therefore, in the last resort, be considered respon sible for this appalling calamity.
- On the 28th of December 1908, an earthquake of appalling severity shook the whole of southern Calabria and the eastern part of Sicily, completely destroying the cities ~
- After three days spent in cutting down the sledge and rearranging its load Mawson started on his lonely tramp, and after appalling difficulties, when nearly exhausted, he stumbled on a food depot laid out by a search party 20 m.