A coach encouraging his team.
The definition of encouraging is something that gives hope.
An example of something encouraging is a coach's pep talk to a team before a big game.
Giving courage, confidence, or hope: encouraging news.
(comparative more encouraging, superlative most encouraging)
- Present participle of encourage.
- When he spoke, he had encouraging news on another matter.
- Sure, he had stepped over the line, but hadn't she invited him by encouraging his attention?
- I was watching for some encouraging sign.
- Like another Socrates, he taught them to know themselves, repressing vanity, encouraging the despondent, and attaching all alike by his unobtrusive sympathy.
- Apparently Rob didn't think I'd been encouraging him.