Origin of haplesshap + -less
The definition of hapless is an unlucky person.
An example of hapless is someone who seems to break everything they touch.
Luckless; unfortunate. See Synonyms at unfortunate.
(comparative more hapless, superlative most hapless)
hap + -less
- The dragon a mythical creature best known for its reptilian appearance and its curious habits of abducting damsels, hoarding treasure and breathing fire on hapless knights is one of the most popular designs in tattoos.
- The Fairy Jobmother, one of Lifetime TV's first forays into original reality programming, matches hapless job hunters with an employment pro to help them land the dream jobs they not only want but often need.
- It chronicled the exploits of vampire Barnabas Collins, and featured assorted zombies, witches, hapless governesses, acolytes, neophytes and a dark and mysterious estate.
- Henry was the most hapless of monarchs.
- Some of his finest tragedies were written for her, but her repertoire was not confined to them, and many an indifferent play - like Thomas Corneille's Ariane and Comte d'Essex - owed its success to "her natural manner of acting, and her pathetic rendering of the hapless heroine."