- Present participle of grieve.
- An act or instance of grieving.
Variant of grieve
transitive verbgrieved, grieving
- to cause to feel grief; afflict with deep, acute sorrow or distress
- to challenge (some action, decision, etc. of management) by filing and pursuing a grievance
- Archaic to harm; injure
Origin of grieveMiddle English greven ; from Old French grever ; from Classical Latin gravare, to burden, grieve ; from gravis, heavy, grievous: see grave
- to feel deep, acute sorrow or distress; mourn
- to grieve some action, decision, etc. of management