- The definition of bereaved is a sadness, such as the loss of someone as a result of death.
An example of bereaved is a person whose mother has died.
grieving over the death of a relative or friend
the survivors of a person who has died recently
Suffering the loss of a loved one: the bereaved family.
noun(used with a pl. verb)
People who are bereaved: The bereaved were comforted by their friends.
(comparative more bereaved, superlative most bereaved)
- having suffered the death of a loved one
- bereaved relatives
- Simple past tense and past participle of bereave.
Variant of bereave
transitive verbbereaved or bereft , bereaving
- to deprive or rob; dispossess: now usually in the pp. bereft: she was bereft of hope or happiness
- to leave in a sad or lonely state, as by loss or death
- Obsolete to take away by force
Origin of bereaveMiddle English bireven ; from Old English bereafian, to deprive, rob ; from be-, be- + reafian, akin to German rauben: see reave