- Mourning is a feeling and period of sadness after a loss.
When your husband dies and you feel very sad and you spend a few weeks crying and feeling depressed over the loss, this is an example of a time when you are in mourning.
- the actions or feelings of one who mourns; specif., the expression of grief at someone's death
- black clothes, drapery, etc. worn or displayed as a conventional sign of grief for the dead
- the period during which one mourns the dead
- The actions or expressions of one who has suffered a bereavement.
- Conventional outward signs of grief for the dead, such as a black armband or black clothes.
- The period during which a death is mourned.
- Present participle of mourn.
(countable and uncountable, plural mournings)