- a black bow tie, properly worn with a tuxedo
- a tuxedo and the proper accessories
black tieblack tie
being or of a social function characterized by formalwear
Origin of black-tiefrom black tie
- A black bow tie worn with a tuxedo.
- Semiformal evening wear, usually requiring a tuxedo for men and an evening gown or cocktail dress for women.
- An extremely formal, traditional invitation is not appropriate for a five-year-old's princess birthday sleepover, and likewise a martini-glass shaped lime green note is not appropriate for a black-tie evening wedding.
- The level of formality of the event/occasion: Designer dresses are available in a range from less-formal frocks appropriate for more casual special events to very formal gowns for black-tie affairs.
- This doesn't mean black-tie formal, but the breezy sheath that would have been appropriate for the afternoon setting should be replaced by a longer hemline and, in general, more coverage.
- Maybe. After my Cover Girl eye shadow review, I could see myself wearing it if I had some place really fancy to go, like a black-tie event or formal dinner.
- Though the word casual is often synonymous with "beach wedding" in many guests' heads, more and more beach weddings are becoming elegant black-tie affairs.