- Present participle of regret.
- The act by which something is regretted.
Variant of regret
transitive verbregretted, regretting
- to feel sorry about or mourn for (a person or thing gone, lost, etc.)
- to feel troubled or remorseful over (something that has happened, one's own acts, etc.)
Origin of regretMiddle English regretten ; from Old French regreter, to bewail the dead ; from re- + Germanic base as in Old English gretan, Old Norse grata, Gothic gretan, to weep
- a troubled feeling or remorse over something that has happened, esp. over something that one has done or left undone
- sorrow over a person or thing gone, lost, etc.
a polite expression of regret, as at declining an invitation