The first of the two capitalization tests will cover the basic rules of capitalization. These rules cover:
"I"; the first word of a sentence; days; months; names of people, family members, places, buildings, and organizations.
Also included are rules about:
historical events, eras, and documents; directions; titles of groups of people; and titles of books, newspapers, magazines, plays, television shows, movies, and more.
The capitalization quiz is separated into two main sections.
Instructions: Put a "C" if the sentence has no capitalization errors. Put an "X" if the sentence has any capitalization errors
- _____ I saw Stonehenge in England.
- _____ On Saturday, I like to eat Italian food.
- _____ My favorite book is Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire.
- _____ I give blood when the red cross holds a blood drive in my area.
- _____ My sister works for the Boston Globe.
- _____ do you know when the iron age started?
- _____ Mary and her sister sue went to the opera.
- _____ Shakespeare wrote Romeo and Juliet.
- _____ The American civil war was a dark time in our history.
- _____ The Republicans and Democrats will debate the issues.
Instructions: Circle the words that need a capital letter.
a trip around the world would be fun. it would be cold in antarctica and hot in the bahamas. you would meet germans, italians, and swedes in europe. it would be interesting to visit egypt and see the great pyramid of giza, the sphinx and the nile river. you could get ideas about where to go from the book journeys of a lifetime or watch the travel channel. lastly, you could visit the sites of famous events, like the boston tea party, the battle of waterloo or where the magna carta was signed.
A trip around the world would be fun.It would be cold in Antarctica and hot in the Bahamas. You would meet Germans, Italians, and Swedes in Europe. It would be interesting to visit Egypt and see the Great Pyramid of Giza, the Sphinx, and the Nile River. You could get ideas about where to go from the book Journeys of a Lifetime or watch the Travel Channel. Lastly, you could visit the sites of famous events, like the Boston Tea Party, the Battle of Waterloo, or where the Magna Carta was signed.
The second of the two capitalization tests are more comprehensive and cover all rules of capitalization including:
solar system, names of businesses, school subjects, quotes, poems, opening and closing of letters, and outlines.
Instructions: Circle the words that need a capital letter in the following outline, poem and letter.
I. animals of the rainforest
i am a poet
i did not know it,
my feet show it.
they are long fellows.
dear mr. wilson smith,
i regret that kevin and i will not be able to attend your retirement part at harry's house of hoses.
Instructions: Put an X by the sentences that are not capitalized correctly.
- _____ I would like more facts about Mars and Jupiter, but not the earth.
- _____ I am taking Geology 2 at school and maybe a math class.
- _____ She said, "he will never agree!"
- _____ He lives in the Pacific northwest.
- _____ The last Ice Age ended 10,000 years ago.
- _____ Christians and muslims don't agree about some things.
- _____ Bill Gates started microsoft and is a wealthy man.
- _____ I saw a play called Annie Get Your Gun.
- _____ The movie Charlie And The Chocolate Factory was entertaining.
- _____ Columbus never saw the Indian ocean.
Capitalization quiz b questionsClick to View & Download
I. Animals of the rainforest
I am a poet
I did not know it,
My feet show it.
They are long fellows.
Dear Mr. Wilson Smith,
I regret that Kevin and I will not be able to attend your retirement party at Harry's House of Hoses.
Numbers 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, and 10 are incorrect.