- The definition of woeful is something really bad or pathetic, or something characterized by sorrow or misery.
- A pathetic attempt to complete a project is an example of a woeful attempt.
- An expression of great sorrow is an example of a woeful expression.
woeful definition by Webster's New World
- full of woe; sad; mournful
- of, causing, or involving woe
- pitiful; wretched; miserable
woeful definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Affected by or full of woe; mournful.
- Causing or involving woe.
- Deplorably bad or wretched: woeful treatment of the accused; woeful errors in judgment.
- woeˈful·ly adverb
- woeˈful·ness noun